Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Seeds and Soap

Only about half of the seeds I started last month came up, or so I thought. When I watered them this morning I found a slug munching out!! It must have been in the compost I used. So I got him out and re-planted some of the seeds that I thought did not come up. My son told me to sterilize my compost but I didn’t want to take a chance on killing my good organisms. Such is life..

I will be starting more seeds today, mostly medicinal herbs. I have been studying herbs for healing on and off for about 20 years now. I think it’s time I quit reading and started doing. I know there are a lot of reputable people selling dried herbs but I prefer to grow my own. As with veggies and meat and eggs, if you grow your own you know what you’re getting.

I placed another seed order. I have 164 different packs of seeds. That sounds like an awful lot but.. some are cover crops, some medicinal herbs, quite a few veggies and then there is seed I will be planting for the chickens and rabbits. So not really a lot of seeds.

I’m getting ready to make my own soap again. It’s been a few years since I’ve made any. Not fancy molded soaps, not melt and pour, not funky colored soap, just good bars of soap made with my infused herb oils. Honest and earthy slabs of soap that are actually good for your skin. I first have to find my folder, which contains my recipes and notes.

While I’m waiting for it to warm up a bit outside I’m going to get the first thing on my to do list started..bread.

2 comments:

  1. I'm new to your blog.

    I like your comment about studying something for years before just trying it yourself. Sounds very familiar to me. I try to remind myself I don't need perfection.

    I wish you better luck with this next batch of seeds. I'll have to check for slugs around my missing seedlings.

    When you find your soap folder please post some recipes. Making soap is one of my 20-years-of-thinking things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading is wonderful and information is empowering but if you never take the time to use it what's the point? I'm trying to keep in mind that the time for doing is now.

    Slugs.. ugg! Who would have thought? LOL

    I will indeed post soap recipes. It's actually very easy to do and not all that time consuming. So why did I go back to store bought??

    ReplyDelete