Thursday, January 3, 2013

Bone Broth



Bone Broth

At one point in my life I use to get my broth in cans from the store. That seems like a life time ago.
Now I save all the bones, deer, beef, turkey, and chicken in a bag in the freezer until I have enough to make a batch of bone broth. It's an easy way of adding lots of nutrition to soups or stews, anything you would use broth in. 
I roast my bones in the oven for about an hour at 350 degrees. Put bones in a large pot, I use my crock pot or a big cast iron, cover with water (I use filtered water), add a bit of vinegar. I also add bits and pieces of any veggies I might have. I put several carrots, parsley, and onions in the pot. Let the bones sit for about an hour before turning on the heat. Simmer the brew until the bones become soft, I usually go for three days. You don't want the temp to go above a simmer, I've let mine boil before and the broth comes out with a burned taste.

Bones draining in a colander  
At the end of three days take out the bones and bits and let it drain into a bowl.

Strained broth
Strain the broth through cheesecloth into mason jars. Let cool in the fridge. Remove the fat from the top of the broth. If the broth is too weak I pour it into a large pan and boil it down.

Turkey Pot Pie
I ended up with three quart jars of broth (after reducing) . I used three and a half cups to make the pot pie. The rest went into the freezer. If I am doing deer bones I get a quarts and quarts of broth. In that case I will make all the broth and pressure can it.
Also, a cup of broth on a cold day makes a quick and healthy lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment